<body>
 photo d080b8b9-2582-4944-a4b0-aa08f3d21325.jpg




The Glutton


Live to eat, laugh and travel.
Inquisitive and enthusiastic.
Values family ties and friendships.
In love with vanilla ice cream.

+ follow | email | instagram | twitter




Instagram








Nuffnang








Recent Posts





Archives







Cranberry Orange And Walnut Loaf

written on Saturday, November 2, 2013 @ 10:01 PM ♥



I have a sudden urge to bake a cake one day so I went online to google the recipe then went to shop for all the ingredients within an hour. I have the habit of procrastinating so I always try to get my butt moving whenever I set my mind on doing something, before my lazy bone sets in.

Pretty excited and flustered at the same time as it's my first time baking a cake! While preparing the cake mixture I even mistook tablespoon for a teaspoon and baking powder for baking soda. In the end,
my cake mixture was quite a mess because I threw things in wrongly and missed out some steps hahaha!

Nevertheless, the cake loaf turned out great in the end!  :)




I love that when you take the freshly baked cake loaf out of the oven, the strong orange citrus scent fills up the air. The cake is both crumbly and dense which reminds of those fruit cake that you have during Christmas. I'm usually not a fan of denser cakes but the sweetness of the cake takes some of the "heaviness" away, making it just right. And with every bite, there's a bit of cranberry, orange and walnut so it's sweet, citrusy and crunchy at the same time. I know the combination sounds kind of mismatch but somehow they mix very well together so you get layers of flavour in your mouth. Pretty unique!

I couldn't find fresh cranberries around my place so I replaced it with a cup of dried cranberries from Ocean Spray. Also, as pecans are more expensive and difficult to find, I switched to using walnuts instead. It would have looked better if I added toppings and drizzle the glaze over but I was in a rush so I skipped it.

I definitely need to try baking this again! With the correct ingredients and sequence the next time round!

If you're keen to try this out yourself, here's recipe below:



*pardon my ugly cake as I sprinkled cinnamon powder hoping to make it smell nicer



Cranberry Orange and Pecan Loaf
recipe makes two 9x5 inch loaves

For the Cake
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cup granulated sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into medium chunks
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups fresh squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoon orange zest
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cranberries
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

For the Topping
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan. Line loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving a few inches of overhang on each side. Grease the parchment paper and dust with flour on all sides. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Add chunks of butter and work the butter into the flour with your fingers.
Try to blend the butter into each bit of the dry ingredients.
The mixture will resemble a coarse meal.

In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla extract.
Add the wet ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients.
Stir together to incorporate.
Add the cranberries and pecans and fold into the batter.

To make the topping combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and rub together with your fingertips until crumbly.

Divide the batter between the two loaf pans.
Sprinkle each loaf with topping.
Place in the oven and allow to bake until the cake is golden brown and the center is cooked through.
Insert a skewer into the center of the cake to ensure that it’s cooked through, about 50 to 60 minutes.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pans for 15 minutes.
Use the parchment paper to lift the loaves from the pan and allow to cool further on a wire rack.

For the glaze I whisked together 1 cup of powdered sugar and just over a tablespoon of milk. Drizzle it over the cooled loaf.

Cake can be stored, well wrapped at room temperature, for up to 5 days.

(source)

Labels: , , , , , ,



0 comment[s] | back to top






Life is short.
Just eat.